Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Recommended Stain/Finish for new Mahogany Door

Question
Hello,
Thanks for volunteering you expertise.  I purchased an unfinished mahogany exterior french door.  Wondering what your opinion is regarding how to best to finish/stain the door?  Do you have any recommended products you would use and/or ones not to use?

This will be my first attempt at finishing a door - would appreciate any pointers/recommendations you could pass along.

Kris Blumm

Answer
Kris,
Thanks for the email.
My first question to you would be; is the french door going to be directly subjected to to the weather elements. (rain, snow etc.)

On the exterior mahogany doors that I have finished:
I make sure that the wood is smooth. If you need to lightly sand; I would use 220 grit sand paper and use a hand sander. (not an electric sander) The reason being; is it a solid mahogany or veneer mahogany?

I then stain with Minwax oil stain.  I mix half golden oak and half mahogany. This give more life and depth to the Mahogany.

I wait 24 hours and then apply an exterior finish.
In my woodcare business; we use a product called Boodge. www.boodge.com  
This product protects from the inside out; as to which all exterior products should do.
Do get on their website and view the products and it explains the function of the product.
I know that when we used any of the polyurathane family, the water always penetrated somehow; and lifted the finish.

I wish you luck in your first endeavor.

I hope this helps with your refinshing.
Please don't hesitate to email with any further questions.

Joseph A. Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge