Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Refinishing table top

Night table
Night table  
Hi Eileen,
I have a yellow birch night table manufactured by the Imperial Rattan Co. in Stratford, Ontario.  The finish appears to be a paint/stain blend that barely shows the grain.  Having seen other pieces manufactured by this company, it seems to be a standard caramel-coloured finish applied by spray.  I am refinishing the top only and would appreciate your advice on how to replicate the original finish.

Hi Jim
Nice to hear from you.
Unfortunately we do it yourselfers cannot replicate this finish.
It has to be done in a shop by a pro.
I haven't necessarily seen pieces from this company but I am familiar with this finish.
It comes off rather easily with paint stripper if you want to go this route.
Or if you just want to repair the top you can use this product

It works amazing well for this type of repair.
I would certainly make every effort to do so. This is a nice little table.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk

Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.

I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.