Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Armoire repair

Question
Armoire
Armoire  

Armoire b
Armoire b  
Hi: I have been given an armoire that is in need of repairs. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the 3 pieces (top, middle, bottom) are not staying together, they have a nub and hole design. The armoire tilts to the side a bit. This my be because 1 shelf is not installed and the other needs to be reinstalled with better bracing. We do plan to add more shelves and bracing. Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Stacie
Nice to hear from you.
This is a lovely piece.
All the slight damage (not really damage but misalignment)is caused because the piece needs to be braced as you rightly guessed. And properly squared.
In all cases that I see this, the problem originates with the back panel (thats the entire back of the piece).
I note that the back of this piece is boards. They are not as good at holding a piece square as a solid piece of wood.
Thats what needs to be corrected. The boards swell and contract over years and that causes the problems you see with the separating. Also folks move these large pieces around loaded with stuff when they change their furniture placement. This is the worst thing we can do to our old furniture.
So when you correct this, then you can glue the separated pieces back in place.
I would remove the back, do my gluing, Square the piece, and properly secure existing back boards or replace them with a solid piece.
Good Luck
Eileen

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk