Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Finishing a turned bowl

Question
I have tried several different finished on turned bowls and I am not real happy with the shine and smoothness. The current bowl I turned is an Ambrosia Maple bowl that turned beautiful. I have about 8-9 coats of the Behlens turning finish (Shellac bsaed). It has nice depth but seems a bit soft. In addition, the surface isn't really smooth - almost like the finish isn't spreading. Is there some way to polish this to get it smooth and shiny?

Answer
Hey Martin, you should be able to get a supreme, glossy, smooth finish easily with shellacs.are you letting each coat dry hard, and then sanding between coats?There are many variations available, I typically like a dewaxed Garnet or Dewaxed Blonde on turning projects, but this Behlen product might be very thin, so it won't build like a true shellac, but I'm not familiar with it. 8-9 coats should be giving you plenty of film thickness and plenty of build though, buy some flake here and mix your own, shellac is one of the coolest things on earth,tough enough, non toxic,restorable, repairable and re-coatable.. I always have 4-6 different mixes in the shop:

http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/shellac3.htm

..I also like a paste varnish like the General product if you haven't tried that...it's also a little tougher for food use.....post back- regards- Greg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11243&site=ROCKLER

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl