Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/gluing boards together

I have pine boards from a skid that I planed to 45 in long, 9 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick. Does the crown have to be in the same direction. It is going to be a table 45 by 36. I will be using biscuits, elmers glue and a lot of clamps. It is soft pine. I am using the skid boards because of the character. Nail holes and knots.   

Thank you

Hi Ed,

Good question!

It has been a widely held belief that you alternate the annual rings of the wood on the pieces used for making a tabletop. Some woodworkers swear by it. Others ignore it, instead choosing the side to glue facing up based on appearance. There's a big debate going on over this concept.

I've always alternated the rings, or crown - as you put it - so that one board is ringed upward, then next downward, and so on. All of my tops remain flat and true, even after 30 years.

So - yes, I would recommend alternating the crown to even out the tendency for each board to cup a bit. It can't hurt!

Jamie in Vegas

Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono

Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.

Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!