Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/gluing boards together

Question
I have pine boards from a skid that I planed to 45 in long, 9 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick. Does the crown have to be in the same direction. It is going to be a table 45 by 36. I will be using biscuits, elmers glue and a lot of clamps. It is soft pine. I am using the skid boards because of the character. Nail holes and knots.   

Thank you

Answer
Hi Ed,

Good question!

It has been a widely held belief that you alternate the annual rings of the wood on the pieces used for making a tabletop. Some woodworkers swear by it. Others ignore it, instead choosing the side to glue facing up based on appearance. There's a big debate going on over this concept.

I've always alternated the rings, or crown - as you put it - so that one board is ringed upward, then next downward, and so on. All of my tops remain flat and true, even after 30 years.

So - yes, I would recommend alternating the crown to even out the tendency for each board to cup a bit. It can't hurt!

Jamie in Vegas

____________
Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV
www.wooditis.com

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono