Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/JOints for MDF

Question
Hello,

I am starting my furniture business where I am planing to make home furniture in MDF. I would like to ship the furniture as flatpack just like IKEA does. I wanted to know what types of joinery can I use for MDF furnitures that customers can easily assemble at home.

ANy suggestion?

Answer
Hi Sanjay,

There are generally two methods for assembling MDF furniture - using some sort of mechanical fitting, like Confirmat screws, or using dowels, which means your pieces will have to be clamped and glued. Here is a link to a company that uses both of these:

http://www.cabparts.com/products-cabinetboxes.html

That said, there are also some other metal devices, called KD fittings, which stands for "knock-down" fittings, meaning that the piece can be assembled and then taken apart.  

Here is a link:  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2334&site=ROCKLER

Most manufacturers will use some sort of fitting that allows the end user to assemble the piece with simple hand tools, like a screw driver. If I were starting a furniture company, that is what I would use. Do your homework and find a system that works well, and is easy to integrate into your pieces.

Good luck! Hope this helps,

Jamie in Vegas

____________
Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV
www.wooditis.com

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono