Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/JOints for MDF

I am starting my furniture business where I am planing to make home furniture in MDF. I would like to ship the furniture as flatpack just like IKEA does. I wanted to know what types of joinery can I use for MDF furnitures that customers can easily assemble at home.

ANy suggestion?

Hi Sanjay,

There are generally two methods for assembling MDF furniture - using some sort of mechanical fitting, like Confirmat screws, or using dowels, which means your pieces will have to be clamped and glued. Here is a link to a company that uses both of these:

That said, there are also some other metal devices, called KD fittings, which stands for "knock-down" fittings, meaning that the piece can be assembled and then taken apart.  

Here is a link:

Most manufacturers will use some sort of fitting that allows the end user to assemble the piece with simple hand tools, like a screw driver. If I were starting a furniture company, that is what I would use. Do your homework and find a system that works well, and is easy to integrate into your pieces.

Good luck! Hope this helps,

Jamie in Vegas

Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono

Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.

Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!