Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/MDF Help on joinery

Question
Hello,

I am starting my furniture business where I am planing to make home furniture in MDF. I would like to ship the furniture as flatpack just like IKEA does. I wanted to know what types of joinery can I use for MDF furnitures that customers can easily assemble at home.

ANy suggestion?

Answer
Hi Sanjay, there are many type of hardware available for this type of assembly. So many that I wouldn't be able to do a good job of representing them to you without a lot of research that you can do yourself. So called "knock down" fasteners are typically used, as seen on the Ikea stuff you're using as a guide, a starting place can be found here:

http://fastenerline.com/1008-knock-down-furniture-parts

I don't like MDF for many projects, because of it's inability to take screws and fasteners well, unlike other engineered panels. And if one or several of those fasteners do get damaged or pull out, or even get overtightened by a homeowner who is building the piece, the damage that results can be impossible to repair.In my experience, proper construction with glue joints, (Rabbets, Dados, etc.) is the way to add superior strength to an MDF project, but may not be practical in some situations. "face grain" fasteners do well when pre drilled and countersunk, and can be plenty strong, but edge fastening, even pre drilled, is problematic. Hope that helps a little- post back if need be.- Regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl