Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/MDF or Pine wood or PlyWood

Question
Hi there,

I am starting my own furniture business. I am particularly interested in kids furniture and some home furniture like bookcases, home office desks, tables etc.

I am inclined towards using MDF as much as possible for various reasons. MDF is most economic, easy profiling, and most importantly it finishes very well (paint). The biggest problem is its density. MDF products are very heavy which makes me think of other alternatives.

Pine wood is another option which is easy to handle, not very heavy, considerably strong (good enough for me) and this also finishes well. The only problem is its surface is soft enough to be scratchable by nails.

Third option is plywood. It's strong, easy to handle but the problem is I don't think it finishes well with paint.

My biggest objective is to make beautiful yet economic furniture and I would need good mix of acrylic and lacquer paint.

I don't have a crisp question but I would like to hear from you how should I decide. I don't mind doing mix and match between woods.

I know IKEA uses MDF a lot and I think they are doing good. But is it very heavy to use??

Please advise..

Answer
You can try to use each of them in few amount and check the result.

The fact is each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages.

About the plywood you may try the plywood with the good quality veneer at the face. It may minimize your problem about the paint.

Yes IKEA use mdf, but for the thick panel he use the honeycomb or hollow inside so it is may not too heavy.  

Go ahead and start your business.

Good luck

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

wisno