Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/MDF or Pinewood or PlyWood

Hi there,

I am starting my own furniture business. I am particularly interested in kids furniture and some home furniture like bookcases, home office desks, tables etc.

I am inclined towards using MDF as much as possible for various reasons. MDF is most economic, easy profiling, and most importantly it finishes very well (paint). The biggest problem is its density. MDF products are very heavy which makes me think of other alternatives.

Pine wood is another option which is easy to handle, not very heavy, considerably strong (good enough for me) and this also finishes well. The only problem is its surface is soft enough to be scratchable by nails.

Third option is plywood. It's strong, easy to handle but the problem is I don't think it finishes well with paint.

My biggest objective is to make beautiful yet economic furniture and I would need good mix of acrylic and lacquer paint.

I don't have a crisp question but I would like to hear from you how should I decide. I don't mind doing mix and match between woods.

I know IKEA uses MDF a lot and I think they are doing good. But is it very heavy to use??

Please advise..

Sanjay, I do not know much about running a furniture business. I am a woodcarver because I love wood, the feel, the smell, the look.  If it were my company, I would want to produce a product that I could be proud of. I would use real wood.  There is enough junk furniture in the world.   There is a market for good furniture. That is my opinion.  Thank you.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

maura macaluso

I can answer most questions, regarding, wood sculpture, wood carving, carving tools and accessories and different types of woods.I am not an appraiser of carvings nor an antique dealer.

I do full design work, custom carving, restoration, fabrication, repair and refinishing. I can take a piece of raw wood and turn it into a work of art and I can help you do the same. I am "the" carving instructor for the new york city parks dept. I am heavily involved in carving on the internet and belong to many, many mail lists which are quite active. I am also an international promoter of woodcarving and am affiliated with many master carvers, notably nora hall, originally from holland, now in the U.S. and kalina pavlova, a bulgarian master carver. I routinely communicate with the top names in professional woodcarving nationally and internationally.

the national association of woodcarvers. the woodcarvers of queens NY, the staten island woodcarvers. the northeast woodcarving association. the world wide carving internet list

chip chats-the national magazine of woodcarving. also at

Self taught artist and sculptor, 40 years of drawing and painting as a hobby, 5 years of serious woodsculpting. I have my own website and have written a 300 pg book on carving. I have published online tutorials and pictorial projects

many first place awards