Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Can low humidity caused shrinkage be repaired?

Question
Hi.  We have two French antique pieces of furniture that have suffered significantly from the dry climate in Denver.  One is a 5ft round Louis Phillipe dining table circa 1860 with leaves to expand to 10ft.  The table without leaves in round set-up has separated at the sides about one-half inch.  The other piece is a 18th century French hutch.  There is significant separation on each end - about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.

Is there anything I can do to tighten them.  What if I get a humidifier, place it close to the shrunken areas, and gently clamp for a period of time?

Each piece is of walnut and quite valuable apart from the shrinkage issues.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Robert, typically this type of repair work is highly skilled, as some pretty extreme damage has occurred already..furniture will always acclimate itself to the surroundings, and one way to determine those surroundings is to purchase an inexpensive Hygrometer or two and place them in the rooms where you display these pieces. Observe the relative humidity in these spaces and then take corrective measures to keep them more hospitable...a tall order. Certainly the addition of some moisture to the environment is what we're speaking of, but you cannot force these pieces back into position and then expect them to stay after such cellular damage has taken place, unfortunately.....minute changes can be realized over time with due diligence, but it's difficult to even cause that on Antiques of this nature....repair and restoration techniques can be used to repair this damage, but there really is no magic reversal....please feel free to post back, but I am battling a health issue so please be patient with me- regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl