Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/refinishing maple wood

Question
I just moved and took with me an antique maple wood desk my grandfather built in 1944 for my father to use 4 school born same year. My grandfather built many things perfect detail and would make hand carved grooves etc 2 perfection from homes to tiny decorative details perfect measurements like an obsession.

The desk is a mess per finish only and I want to know how to restore it but am clueless and in an apartment so would need 2 do it on the balcony in fresh air. How do I do this as non construction type other than changing a light-bulb? lol I'm disabled w/ms so would have 2 work slowly.

Thanks.  Mark,

Answer
Mark,
Sorry for the slow response; we work out of town quite often with our wood care business.
It's nice to see that you take such pride in your grandfather's work.
I don't know how large your grandfather's desk is and the capability of moving it to your balcony.

Unfortunately it will have to have the existing finish removed; before staining etc.
you can have a local company pick it up to be refinished.
If this is the case; make sure that it won't be dipped or totally submerged in the stripper.
This sometimes has a tendency to loosen glued dowels etc. in the structure of the desk.
It can also loosen glued pieces of veneer etc.

You could actually do this your self; but, it is time consuming and messy.
The water borne strippers of today are slower than the solvent strippers; but, they work.

I recommend oil stains as well as tung oil finish, to capture the the detailed and depth perception of the desk.

If you would like to perform this task yourself; I would gladly help you, step by step.

I would love to see a picture of your desk.

Cwcwoodcare@aol.com

Good luck,
Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge