Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Waxed pine table

Hello - I have a waxed pine table I bought at pottery barn last year.  It is a beautiful light pine with lots of texture, rough bits and beautiful grain.  I love it but have always worried about spills etc as it is barely sealed against these with just wax.  So, I have just oiled it with mineral oil on the advice of someone.  However, now it has gone darker (a sort of reddish colour that I hate!!) and I want it to be light again!  Is there anything I can do????

Hi Jackie
Well if the table has wax then mineral oil over it, you can remove it with mineral spirits and fine steel wool pads.
Dip the pad in the spirits and gently rub with the grain. Dry with clean rags as you go.
Then apply a fresh coat of wax.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk

Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.

I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.