Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Stripping Vilas furniture

Question
Hi Eileen,
I have two Vilas spice chests..that is what my mother called them...circa 1970 ...maple with gold trim.  We use them as night stands and although solid and great for the purpose, they do not suit our decor.  Would you recommend stripping them and staining or should  I prime/ seal and repaint.
I also have a Vilas dresser and would like to stain/ paint to match.

Any suggestions would be welcome! I live in Ontario

Thanks, Marietta

Answer
Hi Marietta
Nice to hear from you.
Hope its warmer where you are in Ontario than where I am..its freezing.
Usually I don't recommend painting but its my experience this 70's maple furniture does not refinish well for us do it yourselfers.
It needs spray colored lacquers which we cannot do in the home.
So if you decide on painting (which I feel is best), your prime and paint idea is best.
Lightly sand before priming.
Hope this helps
Eileen

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk