Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Table top

I just got an antique farm table. I hate to loose the character of the table. It has areas where the Finnish looks like it had gotten soft in storage and fibers from a blanket stuck to the Finnish. It is dry and hard and darker than the rest of the Finnish . I want the table to look old with character but this is not a good appetizing look for my dining room. I tried mineral spirits. I also tried linseed oil thinking it might dissolve the hardened areas but that didn't work so I wiped it down with the mineral spirits again. I have purchased some Formbys furniture refinisher. Should I use it?

Hi Janet, sorry for the late reply...the Formbys is a very thin product that is very difficult to use on a large surface, especially if the table is a soft wood. In it's present condition, I think you need to strip it with a semi paste stripper like Jasco...and it's a big messy job. It shouldn't strip all the patina and character off, but will leave the surface clean and ready for a suitable refinish.Then depending on the type of wood, look you're after, etc., you can make a plan how to best go from there. I caution you though, if you are a novice, or unused to this type of work, it's easy to get in way over your head...especially if you want it to end up looking "antique", as that "look" has to be replaced very often in these cases...and that's the realm of a good restorer...not the typical DIY' back- regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.