Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Watco oil finish too light

Question
Several years ago I stained my bathroom oak cabinets with Watco Danish oil in the light oak colour.
I would like these cabinets to be a darker colour.  Can I just add a darker Watco colour over top?  Would a Minwax colour work better?
I do not want to finish the cabinets with any poly coatings afterwards as I like the look and feel of the Watco oil finish.  I also appreciate how easy they are to look after and touch up scratches if necessary.
Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Answer
Hi Kathy,

You might have some problems trying to get another coat of Watco to darken your existing cabinets because Watco seals the wood. It penetrates and absorbs into the wood, and effectively seals the wood. So applying another coat of Watco to darken the cabinet might be ineffective.

My best advice might be to sand the wood a bit, to break the seal and open the pores. If you can make the surface a little more penetrable, the next coat of Watco will be able to absorb better.

I would recommend lightly sanding the wood - with maybe 320 paper, and then re-oiling the wood with a darker tint of Watco. If the first coat isn't dark enough, let it dry and try a second coat 24 hours later. When it's finally as dark as you want it to be, you're essentially done.

Or - if you want a bit more sheen, you can wax the cabinets with a good paste wax, like Johnson's  or MinWax paste wax. That will bring up a little sheen and make the cabinets feel a little more silky.

Good luck, hope this helps. Write back if you have more questions.

Jamie in Vegas

____________
Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV
www.wooditis.com

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono