Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Water drop marks

Question
Water Drops
Water Drops  
QUESTION: I have a very highly polished beautiful Traditional Cherry Dining Set Broyhill and the dining table is very touchy.. Had for 40 years and nothing wrong but the other day we opened a refrigerated cake on it to put candles on for someone and forgot to take the box top off the table and three droplets of moisture went on the table ..by the time I found it an hour later it was too late the moisture was in the table , I wiped it and let it dry out but there is no getting that moisture out the marks are there ... This happened once before with one drop from a windex bottle when I was cleaning... Is there anything that can be done? The table is such a gorgeous finish it looks brand new ...I'm sick about it...thank You for any help you can provide.

ANSWER: Maria,
My first question would be to ask what type of polish you have been using on the table.
When you say the table is very touchy; are you saying that when you touch the table, it leaves finger prints?

The three droplets of water shouldn't have etched the finish; unless there have been applications of a furniture polish. The furniture polishes are a lot less durable than the original finish.

Any way of sending a picture of the spots?

When you get time; please let me know what type of furniture polishes you have been using; and this should give us a better understanding of what to use to remove the moisture areas.

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Dining Table
Dining Table  

Dining Table 2
Dining Table 2  
QUESTION: Thanks Joe for responding... I did send a Pic its on the screen with e the watermarks...I only use pledge and not often..just dust with the cloth that has it on it don't generally spray it all over the table...by touchy I guess I mean fancy smooth finish not distressed or coated I will try to send another picture..I use table pads when we serve dinner on it never never use it as is...Thanks

Answer
Maria,
Thanks for the reply and the pictures.
These pictures look as though the water spots are on the furniture polish and not on the lacquer finish.
There are numerous polishes that are made of a large amount of petroleum products. (label states petroleum distillates)

We find in our wood care business; that many of these products leave a film and seems to dull the furniture appearance.

I would suggest purchasing a 3-m pad (scotch bright) white color and lightly go over the spotted area; going with the grain of the wood. Test this procedure in an inconspicuous area first to make sure this will work for you. This should lift the film from the polish and also remove the water spots.  You can purchase the pads (4 inches by 8 inches) at Home Depot etc.

Please let me know if the procedure works for you.

The table is certainly a beautiful one.

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge