Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/desk drawer re,moval

It is necessary for me to remove a drawer in our desk and I cannot figure it out.  There is a rail attached to the drawer that slides into a rail inside the desk.  The locking mechanism for drawer removal is inside the desk.  There are no levers of any kind.  It is an oak Scandinavian desk from about 20 plus years ago.  There are no moving parts on the rail that is attached to the drawer.  Any ideas on how to remove the drawer?

I certainly relate to your question; as there are hundreds of manufacturers of furniture and almost as many hardware applications.

I would first look on the railing that is attached to the furniture shell and not the rail on the actual drawer.

Many times it in near the end of the rail; facing you.
There might me a piece of metal that looks like it belongs to the railing; but, it can be pushed in, minutely to release the hold.

Pull the drawer out until it stops and catches; usually that's were you will find the hidden small piece that stops the drawer from coming out completely.

I hope this is your case.

Please e-mail with a picture of the end of the railing; if you don't find the catch.

Good Luck!

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.