Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Best way to make this joint

Mortise and tenon joint
Mortise and tenon join  
I'm attaching an image so you can see for yourself. I'd like to know the best way for a beginning to intermediate woodworker (I'm pretty good with tools though), to make a joint like this mortise and tenon joint set at an angle? Is a mortising bit (brand?) a good idea? I would to know the best way go about making products with similar joints, and how to do it most efficiently. Thanks!

ANSWER: Hey  Blue, sorry about the late reply, a through mortise and tenon joint like this is a difficult joint to accomplish.If you want rounded corners, a mortising bit cannot be used, except perhaps to hog out the wood between the corners...also tricky to do with precision.This is one reason you don't see this type of joinery very often.When you do see it, it is a sign of highly skilled work, and unfortunately, there  are really no shortcuts to that level of craftsmanship, unless perhaps you can afford some big machinery.....which has the capability to do this...wish I had a better answer, please feel free to post back- regards- Greg

QUESTION: Thanks! OK then, suppose I want to make it with square corners? That would work fine...just thought the rounded corners were cool. I've never used a mortising bit before but I was thinking of getting some. I thought the mortising bit might work on the rounded mortise if I just used a regular round bit at each end to start the slot (?)

Alternatively, I know this sounds crazy, but do you think one of those lock set mortising jigs could work?
Thanks again!

All these methods are possible, the trick is to be able to pull them off accurately, with no tear out, etc.....I have also seen angled tenons and then a faux end grain of the tenon cut with a router, say 1/4" deep on the top side where accuracy is critical.A lock setting jig would not cut accurately enough...a mortising jig should work, but getting really accurate results takes finesse and of luck- post back if need be

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.