Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Refinish instructions for kitchen table with

Question
QUESTION: Can you please tell me how to refinish a kitchen table with a "Resistivar" finish?  After nearly 30 years, the finish is worn and in some areas, it is actually off down to the wood.  (this in areas where we used to have salads on paper plates with italian dressing - small, maybe quarter size areas).  

Please suggest products and where they can be purchased along with instructions.  My husband is very good in woodworking and has built many beautiful oak furniture pieces.

Thank you for your help!  We want to save the table, not have to purchase a new one!

ANSWER: There are many ways to refinish such a table, the real question is how easy is it going to be to strip. The old finish needs to be chemically stripped, so that's the first thing he needs to do, with a methylene chloride stripper. I am not familiar with Resistivar, and a simple search did not yield any tangible results...but if it is a catalyzed finish, it can be very difficult to remove....what is his finishing skill level, and experience with this type of project?

QUESTION: While he has done many wood working projects we have limited experience with stripping. Once stripped he is fine with normal instructions. Is the chemical stripper one we can get at Hom Depot, Lowes or Menards? We are looking to only do the actual top if possible. Everything else looks fine and looks to possibly be normal polyurethane. I doubt they would use that finish on the sides and legs wod they? Thank you for your help so far.

Answer
It's possible that the whole piece is finished with the same finish....are you saying the table is finished now with "Resistavar"?...if so, how do you know this?....these strippers are available at any good hardware or home center...protect the surrounding areas, and read carefully and heed the product warnings...they are dangerous and toxic, but the best and fastest way to completely remove the old finish....Polyurethane was/is not really used in the furnishing industry...it's more likely a lacquer/catalyzed lacquer from that era....

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl