Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/stair risers

Question
I am remodeling a house with 2 metal spiral stair cases I need some ideas on cheap risers I just want to perk them up doesnt have to be very durable, the stair cases are not used often, I do want the wood look, Thanks for any ideas that will not break the bank

Answer
Are you keeping the treads metal or are they wood?  The most economical hardwood is poplar, surfaced to 3/4" thickness, or even soft maple.  Poplar you would want to stain dark.  Soft maple can be used for a lighter color.  The most economical approach would be to buy a 4X8 sheet of 3/4" plywood in red oak or any hardwood, rip to you riser height, cutting each rip in half for two risers.  Usually one sheet of plywood would take care of 12 risers.  

Joseph

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph G. Swallow