Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Treating bamboo

Question
Bamboo rails I've put up in the past have turned silvery white, which I presume is from the sun's UV rays.  I love the natural color of bamboo, so for a new railing I'm building, would like to find a finish that will stop, or at least slow down, turning whitish. If so, does it come in spray cans or small quantity cans of liquid?

Answer
Hey Jack, I don't believe there's a solution that would last...it's not just the sun, but the weathering from water too...and like ay natural material, it expands and contracts over and over again, soaks up water, dries out completely...over and over again...and a finish just can't stop all that for long...a penetrating finish would probably be the best bet, but the natural exterior of the Bamboo will likely inhibit any penetration, until it has weathered a bit at least....a surface coating, like a varnish/poly/etc. would undoubtedly start to flake and peel within 6 months to a year or so...and then you have the age old issue of what to do then.....you could experiment with a penetrating finish on semi weathered material....I like Flood's line of products, and perhaps they might have some suggestions...let me know, regards- Greg

http://www.flood.com/index.do

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl