Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/tung oiled rosewood table top

Question
Hi,  I have a veneered top rosewood table from 1987.  When I purchased it, the store gave me Palisander oil to maintain the finish.  I used that for years and when I ran out, the store had disappeared and I could  not find the product anywhere, so I used tung oil.  Now I have scratching from use and it needs a good cleaning. Is removing the finishes and starting over is the best solution or should I continue with the tung oil?  I don't know where to go from here. If starting over is the solution, how do I get there?  If continuing with the tung oil...what can I use the clean the table top.  Many thanks

Answer
Patricia,
Sorry for the slow response; we travel to three different states in our wood care business.
I see where you switched from Palisander oil to tung oil.
When you say tung oil; are you referring to a refurbisher or finish?

Your scratches; how severe are the scratches?
If you run your finger nail across the scratch; does your finger nail catch in the scratch?
If your nail catches; it usually has to be melted-in; as the scratch would be too deep for liquids to fill.

Cleaning the table; this can be answered when I receive your answer to the above questions.

From the information in your e-mail; it sounds like you will probably have to start over.

Would it be possible to send a picture of the top of the table with the scratches being shown?

I would be glad to help you through the starting over; when I have your answers.

Thanks,
Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge