Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/furniture refinisehing

I am redoing an old hutch using Minwax stain and Minwax polyurethane satin gloss finish.  When I use more than one coat of stain, then polyurethane it, the finish peels.  What am I doing wrong?

First of all; Minwax as many other stains, contain oils. eg. linseed etc.
When you use these stains; you apply the stain, let it penetrate for about 15 minutes and then wipe off any stain that has not penetrated.
The first stain application needs to dry a minimum of 6 hours; before the second staining.
If not; it will interfere with the solidification of the first staining and the Minwax polyurethane won't have a solid base for it's adherence.
You also need to wait at least 8 hours after you are finished staining;to apply any type of finish.
This is why your finish is peeling.
I hope this helps in helps in your redoing of your old hutch.

you are going to have to remove all stains and finishes; before trying again.

Good luck,
Joseph A Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care
Rocky Mountain Lustre Furniture Polish

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.