Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Refinishing-Removing Veneer

Question
Hi Ms. Cronk, I have an old cedar chest that I want to refinish, however, the top of it is veneer.  Part of the veneer on the lid is removed, it looks like it has been ripped away.  How or by what methods would you suggest for removal of the remaining veneer?  Any answers or ideas you may have are very appreciated.

Answer
Hi Kelly
Nice to hear from Florida.
Hope its warmer there than here. Blizzard coming tonight they say.
Removing veneer is actually very easy.
Get an iron, an old towel and a 2 or 3 inch putty knife.
Work in sections.
Heat the iron to hot, place the towel over the veneer at a side or edge and run the iron over a small area at a time.
This will soften the glue very quickly and allow you to get the flat blade of the putty knife under the veneer and lift it up. Keep working in this fashion till all the veneer is loose.
Shouldn't take but a few minutes.
The towel is used to protect your iron from getting messed up (voice of experience here LOL)
Kind Regards
Eileen

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk