Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Ethan Allen Georgian Court butler table

Question
Hello Greg,
At a recent party, one of my guests spilled an alcoholic drink on
my 30 year old Ethan Allen cherry Georgian Court butler table, which wasn't noticed until the next morning.  The finish turned white.  I called my local Ethan Allen furniture store for a recommendation on a refinisher.  
The refinisher removed the damaged finish and lightly steel-wooled the surface - the stain was not damaged. He then applied a gloss spray lacquer.
It looked OK while it was still wet, but when it dried, it was still rather flat and did match the gloss of the four hinged side panels of the table.
I hired a recommended professional, but the results are not acceptable.  Does he know what he is doing?  Should I call him back or call someone else?  I have heard you talk about the Ethan Allen 'Top Coat' on their furniture - should I just try and order this and apply it myself?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Answer
Hi Carole, sorry about your table...it sounds like the "refinisher" didn't know what he's doing if it doesn't match. It's also hard to believe he could strip it with out removing the stain...is the color a match to the side panels? It's possible it's not stained. The "Ethan Allen" topcoat you describe hearing me talk about is actually a process.So many people think..."if I can just get the right stain I can match it perfectly", which is not true.. typically a lacquer finish like this is several steps, starting with preparing the wood, then a pore filler if it's Mahogany, Walnut, or another open grained wood, stain coat(s)..(sometimes 2 or more stains are used to get the color and shading/ patina), one or more sealer coats, sometimes a colored 'toner' coat, (which is quite common with Ethan Allen)... and then 2-3 coats of the desired sheen topcoat...with the appropriate sanding/rubbing as warranted between coats to match the original 'look'.I would also clean and touch up the side panels and then spray them with the final clear coat to make the match that much closer... I'm also confused as to why his finish is not really Glossy, as it should be if, in fact, he used a Gloss lacquer. These finishes are never Gloss though, almost always Satin or maybe a semi-Gloss lacquer is used on their furniture. Often the final finish is rubbed out to the desired 'look', using wet sanding, steel wool, or even a polishing compound of some type....or a combination of these techniques. Some questions you could ask are , how many coats did he use and what was the finishing schedule...(meaning the 'process' as outlined above),it should sound very similar to my description when done correctly.. and why would he use a Gloss lacquer which is never used in this type of factory setting...(ok, ALMOST never)...certainly not a 30 year old finish, it would've almost certainly have been a Satin, nitro cellulose lacquer finish. It takes some serious skills to be able to match these finishes, and it is NOT a DIY job as you can see from my description...and I'm surprised this guy is recommended by Ethan Allen...he should be able to match this finish and recreate it NO problem, but it's fairly labor intensive when done correctly, as you can see....please feel free to post back and or post a picture- Regards
Greg  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl