Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Fix canopy wood

canopy rod fix
canopy rod fix  
My canopy rod is broken-how can I mend it? The hole needs to be closed.
Thank you

There's really no way to repair that piece of wood - it split on the grain, and it's probably easier to just have a new piece made.

I would try to get someone to make you a new part for your bed. It doesn't look too complicated - try a local high school with a woodworking program, or your local college's art (sculpture) department. Either one should be able to help you.

If you can't get that part made, I'd be happy to help you, but it seems like along way to send a part to be made! You're welcome to write back to me at the email address below, if you have more questions.

Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono

Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.

Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!