Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/pantry cabinets

Question
2 years ago my wife and i built pantry cabinets out of 3/4 " 2 b finished birch ply wood,then stained and oil based poly problem now is she can't put any food items such as cracker because they take on the ? poly smell how do we get rid of that smell , can we rough up the poly with sand paper then cover with oil based lacquer  or do we have to strip and start over , big time advice would be much appreciate and thank you for your expertise . Martin

Answer
Martin,
An odor lasting that long sates; as you probably know, that there was an interference in the drying process. What type of stain did you use and what was the time duration; between the staining and the oil based poly application?
Hopefully; you don't have to start over again.
I would check with the store where you purchased the products for your finishing.
I beleive that you might need a barrier coat; between the existing finish and the new application. I would stay with the poly origin and not try an oil base lacquer etc.
Ask your dealer if he could suggest a sealer that is compatible with the existing finish and also will let your new finish adhere.  As you suggested; sanding is the best preperation for adding another coat of poly.
I wouldn't sand with any grit of sand paper; more than 220 grit.
This is considered a finishing grit; and the deeper you sand, the more product you have to apply to fill the sanding lines.

I hope this helps.
Good luck with your process and please let me know if I could help with any further information.

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care LLC  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge