Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/how to protect finish on antique table

Question
Table
Table  
Hello, Mr. Scholl,

I have a turn of the century dining room table that I just had refinished, which cost about $400, only to find a huge ring on the table after Christmas dinner.  I used two padded vinyl table protectors, and none of the dishes were particularly hot.  I was heartbroken when I saw my beautiful table.  I have tried the mayonaise trick, which did nothing for the finish, so I figure I am stuck with the ring. Now I'm wondering what to do for the table top in the future. My sister-in-law uses a firm, wood-grain protector on her table that stays in place all the time. Is this a good option? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and expertise!

Answer
Hi Annie, sorry to hear about your table top, did you have it refinished by a local person?...this type of ring can be caused by moisture trapped in the surface of the finish, and while Mayonnaise, Peanut butter, and other old wives tales are to be avoided, the ring might be removable with a "blush eraser", which is a combination of solvents that gets sprayed over the surface. This should be done by someone familiar with the product, and I would definitely contact the refinisher to inquire...make sure to tell him you put Mayo on the table, because it is full of oil that will need to be carefully removed before they try to remove the ring.It's quite surprising that this type of ring could happen with the protection that you had on the table top... Please post back and let me know- Regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl