Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/table construction

Question
i am building a dining table from a large amount of 1/2" walnut that I have had for years. the table will be 6x4 ft. I plan to make the top by gluing DOWN onto some substrate. friends have told me to use3/4" MDF but I have no idea that this is correct. my question is what material should I use as a substrate under the 1/2" walnut?  p.s.   the walnut consists of 36" long x 31/2" wide pieces.

Answer
Hi Robert, I wouldn't suggest MDF over a good plywood. I think it's more stable and can usually support weight better with out sagging or deforming over time the way MDF can. Price shouldn't be that prohibitive, and weight is probably very similar. Hope that helps a little- Regards- Greg

P.S.- I'm also suggesting to go to a Lumber store to get plywood, or a plywood company like my local Connecticut Plywood. The choices are staggering, and the quality wide ranging for the same dollar...I am NOT a fan of Big Box Stores Plywood, and not necessarily for the quality of the product, it's how they store it and where it comes from that I'm most disagreeable with...

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl