Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Armoire question

Question
Armoire
Armoire  
Hello,
I purchased this armoir and there is a big spot on top where something ate away at the finish. It is grainy to the touch in the darker areas. Do you have any advice on fixing it?
Thank you very much!
Kate

Answer
Hi Kate, looks like a solvent chemical "burn" and the only way to repair that is to refinish the top....it's likely lacquer, and something like nail polish remover, perfume, or those liquid air fresheners,or something similar, spilled on the lacquer. The only way to repair it is to strip the top off and refinish it, but it's a skilled repair technique, especially as it might be "toned", (a process of using dye colored lacquers to get the correct color and "look")...not a job for a novice.I assume you purchased this piece "pre-owned", and this is likely the reason they sold it, as such a repair is not cheap to have done. It shouldn't be exorbitantly expensive either, but it needs to be done by a Pro if you want a professional looking repair....hope that helps, post back-regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl