Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/rosewood white stain

Rosewood Scan table with stain
Rosewood Scan table wi  
How to remove white haze from rosewood dining table.  Also can you tell me if it is a lacquered finish.  Bought at Scan firniture 25 years ago.

Hi Patricia, from the picture it looks like a lacquer finish...often Rosewood furniture is finished with an oil finish, but that type of finish does not look like what you have there. The mark looks like a heat or moisture "Blush" as they're called...and it's possible that you could remove it with a product called "Blush remover". Having said that, it's also possible you could make it worse if not done correctly, and as lacquer work is pretty specialized, I would recommend calling in a professional to evaluate it with you, which they should do at no cost. The blush remover is a blend of solvents sprayed on, that actually softens the finish and then evaporates away, allowing the finish to re-harden...without the blush mark, if all goes well. The problem is the level of gloss and pore filling that your finish has, and the blush remover can leave another type of mark, requiring the top to be re-polished.....definitely something left to a Pro. Resist the urge to spread Mayonnaise on it, or any other home remedy, as it can make matters worse when trying to apply the correct repair methods...I'll post a link to the product, but I still recommend consulting with a Pro, as refinishing such a table if you damage it further, is many, many hundreds of dollars....and having them repair it,if it's possible, would not be.Wish I had an easier fix, post back -regards- Greg

Scroll down page for Blush Eraser (B101-0871)

and Amazon:

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.