Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Varnish repair


Armoire picture
Armoire picture  
I purchased this armoir and there is a big spot on top where something ate away at the finish. It is grainy to the touch in the darker areas. Do you have any advice on fixing it?
Thank you very much!

Hi Kate
Nice to hear from you.
My fix would be to strip the top and refinish it (not a huge job).
But before you do that, take a piece of medium steel wool and working with the grain, see if you can smooth out the rough area. And get the darker areas a bit lighter. This is a funny mark and I wonder what could have made it. Almost looks like someone placed a piece of something on the top and sprayed over it. It doesn't look like the color was removed from the wood too much.
So if you try the steel wool first, then send me a picture of the result, we will go from there.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Cronk


Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.


I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.

©2017 All rights reserved.