Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Varnish repair

Question
Armoire picture
Armoire picture  
Hello,
I purchased this armoir and there is a big spot on top where something ate away at the finish. It is grainy to the touch in the darker areas. Do you have any advice on fixing it?
Thank you very much!
Kate

Answer
Hi Kate
Nice to hear from you.
My fix would be to strip the top and refinish it (not a huge job).
But before you do that, take a piece of medium steel wool and working with the grain, see if you can smooth out the rough area. And get the darker areas a bit lighter. This is a funny mark and I wonder what could have made it. Almost looks like someone placed a piece of something on the top and sprayed over it. It doesn't look like the color was removed from the wood too much.
So if you try the steel wool first, then send me a picture of the result, we will go from there.
Regards
Eileen

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk