Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/whitewash

Question
I bought a couple swivel bar stools with backs. All the wood, which is pine, was whitewashed.  Set into the back pieces are copper rods.  The effect is just what I want but the whitewash is to light.  Is there any way to remove this or lighten it and do over in a darker stain?   Would sanding or sandblasting remove some of this whitewash?  
If whitewash IS a stain, then I don't have many options (other than painting the wood) which is NOT something I want to do.
Any help would be appreciated. than you in advance.

Answer
Hi Catherine, likely the white wash is removable, but the way to do it is with stripper.Stripping them will not alter the wood, crap up the copper, and is not hard to do....just a bit smelly and labor intensive, (but certainly not more than trying to sand it all off), and being a softwood, I would not recommend sandblasting.Stripping should leave the wood clean, smooth and almost ready to refinish.Proper and successful staining will require clean, bare wood...so stripping really is the best option for a professional looking job...hope that helps, post back if need be, I'm here- regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl