Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/lint problem....

I had 53 balusters milled in cherry and had someone apply 2 coats of MW oil-based Wipe-On Poly in satin finish. I have used this product before and have had great results on cherry. Sadly, there is lint embedded in the topcoat. Question: how can I remove this lint? If it's helpful/relevant: I do plan on applying another 2-3 coats after installation (this time myself!).  I'm praying there is a better solution (will subsequent layers build over the lint?) other than sanding all those turned balusters.

Hey John, are you sure this is lint??...and from what source? Could it be the grain raising from the final sanding?? That's a decent enough product, but if you're going to build many coats anyway, I'd suggest using General's fantastic Gel Urethane instead. This stuff builds fast, levels well, and is very forgiving and quick drying..(4-6 hours or so), even though I'd recommend overnight drying for each coat....Take some 00 or 000 steel wool and a little mineral spirits and rub down the should be able to render them smooth easily and then apply more or switch to the General Gel can be applied with a rag, pad, brush...just apply thinnish coats and don't leave it thick. Let me know if that helps, I'll be here.
Regards, Greg

For some reason Woodcraft suggests top coating with Arm-r-seal...another good product, but it is certainly NOT necessary...the Gel is a sealer, finish and holds up really well..and I can't recommend the Gel stains enough either...if you're unfamiliar with them....get familiar!! Old Masters is another brand that is very similar...

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.