Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/notched 6.5" square newel

Question
I have a 6.5" square newel in solid cherry that requires notching to house around risers and treads (it will sit at landing--midpoint of stairs).  In view of this being a solid piece, can you recommend a procedure to perform the notching?

Answer
When notching large newel posts, I always used a 12" power miter box to cut what I can and then finish it with a chisel.  Some carpenters I've seen made use of the same with a table saw or a skill saw.  I think it depends on which one you are comfortable with.

WMCoffman has an online .pdf file for installing newels and touches upon notching newel with photos which may be a big help.  The link is:
http://www.wm-coffman.com/literature/pdfs/section_06.pdf

Hope that helps!

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph G. Swallow