Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/CHERRY FROM PETERMAN'S

Since I am in Vegas also, I need your opinion on how long to let my 2x10x10' planks from peterman's dry.  I used peterman's because of their reputation for quality.   I am making a "T" shaped island 7'X10' and will use full length boards with no but joints and only side joints with biscuits for alignment.  I plan on using  Danish oil 5 or 6 coats so it will not vary internal moisture very quickly.  Is one week in my house enough?  It is spring so my doors are open any ways. so it seams silly that my house is any different than out side.
Thanks for your answer in advance.

Hi Mitchell,

I would think those boards are already down to 6-8% moisture content, so it's not like they're going to dry any more in your home than the lumberyard. When I pick up wood from Petermans, I use it almost immediately and never have had a problem.

I don't think you have to worry too much about acclimating those boards - no one I know let's theirs acclimate and they don't have any problems.

Hope this helps!

By the way - do you know about our Sin City Woodworker's group? We meet at my shop once a month to talk shop and share demos and techniques. You're welcome to attend - here's a link to our blog:

Send me your email address and I'll add you to the invite list.  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono

Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.

Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!