Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Add a new surface to a wood island initially for indoors

Question
I have an island that was in my kitchen on the patio.  There is wood or wood paneling of some type around the bottom.  The top has the white tile squares.

I want to preserve the wood around the island before it degrades too much with an outdoor type surface that resists water and weather.
Is that possible?  I was thinking about the peel and stick tiles.  Would that work?

Answer
Hi Sharon
Nice to hear from you.
Sounds like you have some great ideas.
I think the tiles would work but I would make sure the wood surface is well sealed before applying.
Paint will seal the wood just fine. I would use an oil based enamel.
Also although the tiles are self stick I would still use some flooring glue.
This is very easy.
Get a quart of the glue (just tell the hardware what you are doing), and get the applicator (again ask for the correct one for the glue.)
Work one side at a time. Apply the glue to the island one side at a time. Peel the tiles and stick.
Great project.
Regards
Eileen
PS get back if needed

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk