Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Preservation


I recently purchased an antique small desk with what was once an intricate floral painting on the doors. The paint is chipping significantly, which I believe adds to it's charm, but I would like to prevent further chipping. Is there a commercially available product that I can use to preserve the piece to what I have now and prevent further chipping.

Kindest regards

Hi Joycelyn
Nice to hear from you.
The only thing you could do is add a clear coat. But it would have to be water based or else it would yellow the paint over time.
So a water based poly in a matt finish is the one to use...if you feel you must.
Remember once its on it cannot be removed and if this is a valuable piece I advise against applying anything.
And I would not use a wax as it will not prevent chipping and it will prevent it being clear coated in future.
The choice will have to be yours Joycelyn based on the value.
Kind Regards

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Cronk


Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.


I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.

©2017 All rights reserved.