Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Repairing split board on old farm table

Broken board
Broken board  

Under table
Under table  
I recently purchased an antique farm table off Craigslist. The top of the table has a lot of wear, some of I'd like to keep for character. Also, the table top has some split boards - the boards that hang over the sides (probably from someone leaning on them). There is no where to nail in the broken piece to the base of the table - it hangs over the support. How would I go about repairing these split boards without adding a joint? Can I simply wood glue it together and clamp it? Like I said, I would really like to keep the table top as is for character purposes. Also, if you could advise on the best way to finish this table- this is my first DIY restortation and I don't know the best way to go about this! Thank you!

Thanks for your email and the pictures.
Sorry for the slowness of my response; but, I travel for my wood care business.

First of all; you stated that the board that is split, hangs over the side of the table.
Do you mean that it is a board that lifts up and becomes an extension of the table?
Or is it the last board of the regular size table; which people have been leaning on?
Please let me know if that split board; may be disattached from the table; if so, that would be easier to mend.
Is the board split only from the bottom of the board; or does the split go all the way thru the board.

I believe that I can guide you through the gluing aspect as well as the refinishing part.
When you get a chance, please give me an e-mail of the above mentioned items.

Look forwarded to hear from you again.

Joseph A. Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.