Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/

Hi Eileen,
This is a follow up to my ball footed chifferobe question.  
I read some where that all mirrors made after a certain date had to be stamped on the back.  Do  you happen to know that date was?  I have removed the mirrors ( very easily) from the chifferobe and there was no dates on them.  Also, would it be possible that the finish is Tung oil?

Hi Margaret
I don't know when they started putting the date of manufacture on mirror backs (not all mirrors are dated), but I can tell you that I saw one a few years back dated 1915.
So for sure it goes back that far.
Its quite possible it could be oil. Has the piece had work previously?

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk

Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.

I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.