Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/dissolving shellac flakes

Question
What is the best product for dissolving shellac flakes?
i've heard denatured alcohol,denatured alcohol green,everclear,etc..but not sure what is best.i've been told you want what has the highest percent of ethanol.but labels tell you nothing.

don't know if it matters.but i'll be spraying the shellac on sculptures an cabinets.using a Binks Mach 1SL HVLP sprayer.

Thanks,Martin

Answer
Hi Martin, the best is a product from Behlen called Bekhol. Denatured alcohol has water in it and all alcohols will absorb water readily from the air...but I only use Bekhol to cut flake, and then after I have a cut fully mixed and strained through cheesecloth, I add denatured to get the final viscosity, usually for padding.Many people get very scientific when mixing dry shellac flake, using a scale, etc...I usually use a glass jar, and fill it 1\3 - 1\2 full of dry shellac and then fill it all the way with Bekhol.That's usually a good starting cut for restoration work, and padding, brushing, etc...but your mileage may vary, and typically less refined shellacs are thicker and need more straining......Bekhol is more expensive, but dissolves faster and is a superior product. Hope that helps- Regards- Greg

http://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Behkol-Quart/dp/B003CMTWXY  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl