Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Wood

What is the best method and tools to use to carve petrified wood

Hi Ryan

Petrified wood should be carved like stone would be, using chisels, hammers, rifflers and power tools using carbide and diamond bits.   Woodcarving tools are not tough enough to do this.  I am a woodcarver and as such am not well-versed in the techniques stone carvers use.  Might I suggest watching some u-tube videos if you cannot find a stone carver in your area.  Thanks for the question and have a good day.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

maura macaluso

I can answer most questions, regarding, wood sculpture, wood carving, carving tools and accessories and different types of woods.I am not an appraiser of carvings nor an antique dealer.

I do full design work, custom carving, restoration, fabrication, repair and refinishing. I can take a piece of raw wood and turn it into a work of art and I can help you do the same. I am "the" carving instructor for the new york city parks dept. I am heavily involved in carving on the internet and belong to many, many mail lists which are quite active. I am also an international promoter of woodcarving and am affiliated with many master carvers, notably nora hall, originally from holland, now in the U.S. and kalina pavlova, a bulgarian master carver. I routinely communicate with the top names in professional woodcarving nationally and internationally.

the national association of woodcarvers. the woodcarvers of queens NY, the staten island woodcarvers. the northeast woodcarving association. the world wide carving internet list

chip chats-the national magazine of woodcarving. also at

Self taught artist and sculptor, 40 years of drawing and painting as a hobby, 5 years of serious woodsculpting. I have my own website and have written a 300 pg book on carving. I have published online tutorials and pictorial projects

many first place awards