Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/1950s kitchen modern day appliances

Question
Cabinets
Cabinets  
Hi!

We just bought a home with original kitchen cabinets from the 1950. The hinges have been updated and have a fresh coat of paint, so it's functionally fine except for the space allotted for the refrigerator. The space is 30in wide and 5 ft 9 in tall. Ideally, I would like to cut the cabinet above the frig space in half to make room for a tall, skinny frig. Is it difficult to alter one section of an old cabinet like this?

The other option I have would be to cut off an edge of the countertop to fit a 31-32 inch frig. The counters are corian/silestone. Is it possible to cut already installed countertops?

Thanks,

Carole

Answer
Hi  Carole, it kind of depend how the cabinets are made, and how they're hung. Some older cabinets like this are not made up of individual cabinets, but instead made as a single unit, or even built in place. To alter such cabinets is a big job, and not one for a novice....in order to cut the counter top, it would have to be removed, and sometimes they glue these down, so without being able to examine either, its difficult to give you an answer that means something. I think you need to find a kitchen cabinet shop or a cabinetmaker to look at the situation with you. They should offer to do that for no charge, as long as you can make it convenient for them, like meeting during a lunch hour, or when they plan to be in your area already, and this should be a job that they can deal with confidently. This is not the job for a novice or even a DIY'er, that doesn't have experience...feel free to post back again, Regards
Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl