Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/antiquing rubberwood

We are making a dining table and the legs are made of rubberwood. I would like to antique the base and legs but am unsure how to attempt this. The rubberwood is very light so I would like to stain them a dark color but then I would like to rub areas with wax or soap, paint them white and then distress by sanding. Have you ever done this method? Is there any advice you can give?  Thank you, Tracey

Hi Tracey, I have done many types of "antiquing", and there are many ways to achieve a 'look'...but Rubberwood is problematic for a start. It doesn't take stain or finishing all that well, and would not be anywhere on my top 5 choices for such a project. Why Rubberwood? I have never used wax,vaseline,soap, or anything else, except perhaps a crackle medium or something designed not to interfere with the next step, under paint,and in my experience I usually clear coat over a distressed finish with a "dead flat" waterborne urethane or similar, so applying anything like that to the wood would be a big problem, as it would affect adhesion greatly. Often I will use a colored wax as the last step as well, but this will depend on the 'look' you're after. The first thing I would do is reconsider using Rubberwood, as it is just difficult to work with and finish...Please post back if need be, but "Googling" - "distressed paint finish", yields over 1 million results, complete with products,images, multiple techniques, videos, etc. Many techniques will yield visually similar results...and many 'techniques' are put forth by amateurs that really have very little experience with wood finishing, so read and consider carefully, and ALWAYS test out an idea on scrap first, through to the final desired result.Also feel free to consult with an Expert as well...that's why I do this.
Regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.