Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/split dresser top


I have a maple chest of drawers that is about 100 years old.  The top is made of two boards and they have become separated.  There is a 1/4 inch gap between the two just about in the middle of the dresser.  What is the best way to "close this gap"?

Thank you

Hi Robert
Nice to hear from you.
This is a very easy fix with a few tools.
Take out the drawers.
Turn the dresser over.
Look carefully inside the dresser. You will see screws.
Remove the screws.
Not the top will come off (in two pieces).
Glue the pieces back together with wood glue and clamp together overnight to dry.
Robert if you do not have large clamps, borrow 2.
If thats not an option, take the two pieces to a wood shop.
Its a very cheap repair.
Great Question
Get back if needed.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Cronk


Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.


I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.

©2017 All rights reserved.