Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Melamine

Question
Where I work we use a large panel saw to cut optimized sheets for cabinet parts. Recently our melamine cuts have been rough on one side of the cut. Not top versus bottom, but left versus right. Normally our problems with melamine would consist of top versus bottom as scoring blades tend to wear out faster, or need to be re-aligned, or even raised to go deeper. We've never had a problem where one side of a cut produced by the main blade would produce a rough edge as the main blade is not adjustable. We've tried replacing the blades but ended up with the same results. The machine seems to be producing the problem. Any ideas?

Answer
Kevin,

I've seen this before.  It is usually caused by the blade being slightly off-parallel from the direction of the cut.  Use a good straightedge and re-position the shaft or the carriage so it is perfectly parallel to the cut direction.  Even a fraction of a degree can make a difference.

Best of luck,
Steve  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)