Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Melamine

Where I work we use a large panel saw to cut optimized sheets for cabinet parts. Recently our melamine cuts have been rough on one side of the cut. Not top versus bottom, but left versus right. Normally our problems with melamine would consist of top versus bottom as scoring blades tend to wear out faster, or need to be re-aligned, or even raised to go deeper. We've never had a problem where one side of a cut produced by the main blade would produce a rough edge as the main blade is not adjustable. We've tried replacing the blades but ended up with the same results. The machine seems to be producing the problem. Any ideas?

I've seen this before.  It is usually caused by the blade being slightly off-parallel from the direction of the cut.  Use a good straightedge and re-position the shaft or the carriage so it is perfectly parallel to the cut direction.  Even a fraction of a degree can make a difference.

Best of luck,

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)

I can answer questions regarding woodworking, cabinetmaking, architectural woodwork (interior and exterior), and the design of same. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

I have 25 years experience as a professional woodworker and cabinetmaker. I have a lot of experience in the design and fabrication of casework (built-ins, bookcases, entertainment centers) as well as free-standing furnishings including beds, tables, etc.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.