Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Removing Conversion Varnish

Question
I purchased new/used cherry cabinets with a conversion varnish finish.  I have been trying to remove the finish with no luck.  I want to stain them using a new clear tint water based stain called Royal Plum by Minwax.  Do you have any suggestions on brand/compostitions of varnish removers and subsequent prep for the water based products?

Answer
Hey Trish, if it is a conversion varnish, then getting it off is really a chore.... you'll have to try the strongest Methylene chloride stripper you can find... but that might not even remove the gloss from the finish.... Physical removal (mechanical) might be your only choice, and often that's not possible to the extent you'll need it removed, in hopes of readying it for staining. Rock Miracle is the strongest stuff I can remember, but I don't use these strippers any more because they're so toxic, and carcinogens to boot. I understood that certain aircraft paint removers could work, but they're even worse, acid based, and not easy to get or use safely. Wish I had better news but these finishes are super tough, and when they need refinishing, it's often not possible... or in the scope of the $ allocated for the work. You would need to completely remove the finish, and end up with bare wood, that could then be sanded and stained, and for a waterborne stain... that isn't likely to happen... the prep is easy.. but ONLY if you could get the finish off completely, and that's likely NOT possible. Other methods for dealing with these cabinets might work, like "toning", (spraying with a colored toner), and then clear coating over the existing finish, and of course an opaque finish could work, but these are not jobs for the novice as a general rule, so if you have your heart set on that particular stain, you're pretty much out of luck. Another consideration is that there waterborne Minwax stain may not give you the look and/or color you think it will... they're notoriously mediocre colors, with less than stellar performance, and many other choices would be better for such work. Please feel free to post back, Regards
Greg  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl