You are here:

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/filling worn veneer near handle on midcentury modern dresser


I have a large mid century modern dresser, which we bought as a resale
piece many years ago. I want to sell it now. There are some spots near the handles that have worn to the wood. I have wondered if this
can be filled and then painted to match the color. Can you help with this?
I am an artist and have an eye for this but have never tried this kind of repair.
thank you.

Hi Liza
Nice to hear from you.
If you have an artists eye, you most certainly can do this.
Remove the handles, use a dark wood filler (if the piece is dark), light if the wood is light.
Depending how deep the wear is its always better to use 2 thin coats with sanding between.
It seems to smooth better this way.
Now your artist eye will be put to use to disguise the repair.
Good Luck

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Cronk


Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.


I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.

©2017 All rights reserved.