Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/restoring weathered oak pew

Hi Eileen, I have a beautiful 18C pew that I would like to restore. At some point in its life it was sitting outside so is very weathered and dry. I know that I won't be able to restore it to looking like new and I don't want to, I love her weathered look. I just want to take care of it and preserve the wood as much as I can so that it can continue to be enjoyed for a long time to come. I would be grateful for your advice on how to clean her (with what) and what kind of oil / finish to put on her. Thanks very much for your help.

Hi Haidi
Nice to hear from you.
Assuming that from now on your lovely old pew will reside in the house now, and without seeing it, I'll guess the old finish is pretty much gone.
So first off you want to clean it. I would scrub it down with mild dish detergent and a scrub brush. Let this dry really well.
If the residue finish is flaking or rough, and the scrub brush did not remove this, I would rub the entire pew down with medium grade steel wool.
Then a couple of coats of low luster tung oil finish (I prefer Circa brand or Minwax brand tung oil finish.
Get back if needed.
A picture is always helpful so understand this is without seeing your pew..

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk

Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.

I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.