Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/cabinet door hinges

I have a number of cupboards with euro style cup hinges where the doors keep slipping off the upper hinge. The arm of the hinge that is supposed to clip on the plate mounted in the cabinet side will not re-engage and stay clipped. I have adjusted the various screws to no avail, Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dave R

Hi Dave,

The screws (usually three) don't control the arm connection at all - instead, those are used to adjust the door's height,  its lateral movement (left and right) and then its depth - in and out. So adjusting those won't help at all. There sometimes is one screw that holds that hinge onto the baseplate, but I'm guessing you don't have that style of hinge.

There are a couple of ways that euro style cup hinges connect to their base plate - sometime the arm has a small spring type lever that you have to press to release. This is called a clip-on hinge. Often times - there are a couple of small "hooks" that have to grab onto a small pin on the base plate. There are others that attach with a screw. It's hard to say without seeing your hinge, but there's a chance that your baseplate or clip spring has broken.

My best advice would be to pull off one of the hinges and see if there is a brand name stamped on them. Know that there are many types of hinges - full overlay, half overlay, and inset. So if you buy replacement hinges - you have to buy the correct version, or they won't go back into your cabinet easily.

There is a company that offers a hinge identification service.check this out:

Hinges aren't that expensive and it might be easier to just figure out what you need to replace the ones that are giving your problems. This article also might help:

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Jamie in Vegas

Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono

Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.

Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!